In a world where approximately one-third of the population uses social media actively, and almost 80% of individuals prefer watching a video than reading a book, digital marketing is the future of advertisement! By using big data to a digital marketing strategy, you can get valuable insights to develop better content and avoid the guesswork situation. Since digital marketing and big data are developing every day and turning into million dollar industries, a big data certification can help you build a lucrative and fast-growing career in the digital marketing sphere.
However, if you’re apprehensive about stepping into the world of digital marketing, then we’ve jotted down some key pros and cons to help you make a lucid decision. Read on!
PROs of Digital Marketing Career
- Digital Marketing is a young industry which huge growth prospects. The saying ‘Learn & Earn’ fits perfectly.
- Digital Marketing should and will be used by companies of every size and scale – be it large enterprises, government organizations, startup or a nearby mom n pop store. And hence, there are opportunities everywhere.
- Digital Marketing helps you to connect with your customer where they are most present. A recent study suggests that youth nearly spend 15-18 hours online. And this gives an opportunity to digital marketers to connect with people.
- It is a cost effective business option for beginners. You can start your own agency by investing nothing but time & knowledge
- You can work as freelancer or work from home for your digital marketing agency. What you need is a good internet connection.
- There are no demographic or geographic boundaries as you are working over the internet. The whole world can be your market.
- It is the most flexible industry with no fixed working hours if you are working on a project basis or as a freelancer. In short, you can be your own boss.
- Digital marketing provides your different verticals to make a career. You can choose vertical based on your own competencies and passion.
- It is a growing and evolving field and the more you learn and practice the more you earn. Hence, there is no limit to what you can earn.
CONs of Digital Marketing Career :
- Net is not too secure: All said and done, the net continues to an intriguing and intimidating phenomenon which hides within its depths some not-so-savory realities of deceit, cheating and forgeries tracing which could take a life-time with the result being anything but heartening. Money getting siphoned off is an old game. The latest are identity erosion and identity thefts which can mar the reputation of the best laid-out marketing plan and planner.
- A bad word can spoil everything: Along with identity theft, the other ploy employed by the criminally inclined is to spoil one’s hard-earned reputation by posting malicious content on important sites. Justifying, clarifying and erasing such a stain needs expert guidance which takes time, patience, money and a course in digital media marketing and a course in SEO. It may be a while before you could get your hands cleaned from the trumped-up charges.
- Lack of the essential human feel: How long can one hide behind a façade how-so-ever carefully crafted? You HAVE to come out into the open and show your true self if you are to succeed! This unfortunately does not happen in the case of digital and online marketing which loses due to its impersonal modes.
- Some industries do not benefit like clothes and accessories: For standardized products, the concept of digital marketing works best. But what about those that need to be seen and felt in person before a decision can be taken? You are left with no option but to have the brick-and-mortar presence so that those wanting to see and feel the products in real time get the opportunity to do so. This only adds to the costs and complexities of running a digital marketing enterprise.
- Over time, to keep on top, costs do increase: Savings can sometimes increase expenditure and leave you feeling like a fool! Something similar happens with digital marketing. To safeguard conflicting demands, you are left with no option but to spend negating the very reason for going in for such a media. A classic Catch 22 situation this!
- Time-Consuming:More than 60% of digital marketers spend at least six hours a day on their digital marketing strategies. Additionally, almost one in every three digital marketers say that they tend to spend more than 11 hours online! This implies that it may not cost a lot of money to get your marketing campaign up and running, but you’ll tend to give up a major part of your life to your work. Striking a work-life balance may get tough as you’re connected online mostly all the time.
But, are these cons a drawback or an opportunity in disguise? We’d say that as long as you have set a career-related goal and remain focused on acquiring knowledge about it, there’s a great chance that you’ll end up with the job of your digital marketing dreams.
Digital marketing as a profession is a highly-rewarding and ever-evolving career role, and these pros and cons of digital marketing mentioned above are some of the key characteristics to help you make the right decision.